Each year I use the December Re-Marks column to promote shopping locally because I feel it is vital to the survival of our local retailers. Please support our local retailers.
Many people don’t understand the benefits of shopping locally. Here are just a few:
Why Shop Locally?
- Keep Dollars in the Local Economy– When shopping locally, you are simultaneously creating jobs, funding more city services through property taxes, investing in neighborhood improvements and promoting community involvement.
- Entrepreneurship- Entrepreneurship fuels America’s economic innovation and prosperity and serves as a key means for families to move up the economic ladder while providing you with the products and services you desire close to home.
- Competition- A marketplace of thousands of businesses is the best way to ensure innovation and low prices over the long term.
- Jobs and Wages- Local businesses create the multitude of jobs that you, your neighbors and friends depend on to sustain their quality of life.
- Protect Local Character and Prosperity- Alliance is unlike any other city in the world. By choosing to shop locally you help maintain Alliance’s personality and distinctive flavor.
- Reduce Impacts to the Environment- Shopping locally helps to reduce carbon emissions, gasoline costs, etc.
- Support those who Support Alliance- Local businesses are the largest contributors to local non-profit organizations, schools, hospitals, etc. Most of the programs and activities we have for our children, seniors, disadvantaged, etc would not be possible without the generous support of time and thousands of dollars donated each year by local businesses and their employees.
Your local merchant provides these extras because he or she is your friend and neighbor and you see them every day in your community.
All they ask in return is a chance for your business.
In closing I would like to wish each of you a Merry Christmas and a very happy and prosperous New Year.